Friday, April 19, 2013

Starting training early - Target training, Dummy and Eye contact

Link is now 11 weeks old and I've begun teaching him the basics. We are working on targeting (palm of the hand, target stick and a paw target) and eye contact at the moment. I've also started introducing a dummy, since he is a retriever.

Eye contact ( or maybe camera lens contact..)
The eye contact training we've been doing for maybe 5 days. He has really caught on quickly, and will now look at us more often than at the thing he wants (treat or toy). 

Link touching the palm of my hand with his nose.
 When it comes to touching the hand target and targetstick with his nose, Link does the right thing ~95% of the time. The paw target (I use a mouse pad) on the other hand, where he is supposed to put at least one front paw on the target seems to be harder for him to understand. He has made progress, but he often lies down on the target instead of just touching it with his paws.

Link touching the target stick.

We've only just begun with the dummy, I play with it a bit, he grabs it with his mouth and I click. He drops it and gets a treat. We've only had one session so far, but I will start to wait with the click until he holds the dummy in his mouth for an increasing amount of time. After this behavior is reliable  I will start saying "tack" ("thanks" in Swedish, my word for "drop it") and then give him a treat. This will later progress into him not dropping the dummy unless I say "tack", but we have a long way to go before we manage that.


No comments:

Post a Comment