Sunday, August 31, 2014

Sunday mountain hike

When I woke up this morning, there was a thick fog outside. So I thought that I would spend some time working on stuff for the new YouTube channel (which you find here). After a couple of hours though, the fog cleared and the sun was shining from a clear blue sky, so I changed my mind and headed out to the island outside of Tromsø to hike to a mountain top with Link.

Link and the fantastic view on the way up.
Link thought it was way too hot to walk up any mountain, so just 30 minutes into the walk he simply stopped and lay down. It is important to listen to your dog in situations like this, they can easily overheat and heatstroke can kill. So my choice was to either let him rest and then go back to the car, or find another way for him to cool off.

Link refusing to walk...
Luckily there were several small lakes on the way up, so he had plenty of opportunities to get his temperature down.

Link doing what he loves most, bathing.
There were also several spots of snow when we got higher up on the mountain, and of course we also stopped there so Link could play, eat snow and cool off.

Link rolling in the snow.
 On the top of the mountain, it was rather windy, so keeping cool there was not a problem. Link and I both ate and I had some coffee. I have been up here twice before, and this was by far the time with the best weather conditions. It was actually nice to sit on the top, something that is usually too cold.

Link on the top, with Tromsø in the background.
Another really positive thing about the walk today is how nicely Link handled meeting other dogs during this hike. We met maybe ten dogs today, and Link was so much better than he has been before. I won't say he's perfect, but he has definitely improved.
So all in all it was a really nice day. Hope all of you have had a nice weekend!





No comments:

Post a Comment