Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Herding with Danish Swedish Farmdogs


Picture borrowed from http://farmdogs.org.
 
 I learned something new about my favorite breed of dog today. They can be used as herding dogs! I knew they used to work on farms back in the olden days, but I was always under the impression that this was first and foremost to keep the rats away and to guard the farm (like other pinschers and small terriers). That is why I always thought it so puzzling that the D/S Farmdog is so easily trained and that it seeks approval and company by people in a way that I think is unusual for pinschers and terriers in general. But if the D/S farmdog has been used for herding it all makes sense. The smartest dog we have today is the Border collie, which is also the best herding dog there is. And in many ways the temperament of the Farmdog resembles that of the Border collie.


Video of a herding lesson with a Farmdog.




No comments:

Post a Comment